Sunday 30 March 2014

Sweet Potato, Butternut Squash, Apple and Sage Muffins Recipe


My mother's day was spent playing scrabble and baking with my beautiful momma. For my mums birthday I bought her the Lorraine Pascale's 'A Lighter Way To Bake' which is packed with a load of lovely recipes which aren't too naughty for you - the brownies are like 50 Kcals less than the average recipe. Personally I didn't like the sound of these muffins and was very dubious about trying them however I actually really enjoyed them and they are only 155 Kcals!


What you will need:
- 12 Hole muffin tin
- Muffin cases
- 200g ready-prepared sweet potato and butternut squash mix, chopped finely
- 300g wholemeal flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 eggs (1 egg and 2 egg whites)
- 250ml semi-skimmed milk
- 100g low fat natural yoghurt
- 50ml sunflower oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 tsp finely chopped sage leaves (we actually didn't us sage in ours as we didn't have any)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 eating apple - peeled cored and roughly grated


Method:
- Pre heat the oven to 200'C, Fan 180'C, Gas Mark 6. Line the muffin tin with 12 paper cases
- Steam the sweet potato and butternut squash for 5 minutes until tender
- In  large bowl, mix the flour, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder
- Beat the egg and egg whites in a large jug
- Beat the milk, yoghurt, oil and maple syrup until smooth and well combined and add the egg mix
- Mix the wet mixture into the dry mixture with as few stirs as possible
- Add the butternut squash and sweet potato along with the sage and salt and fold in
- Spread the mixture between the 12 cases
- Scatter the grated apple over the cases

Pop in the oven for 20-25 minutes. The centre may be damp from the moisture of the vegetables but the cakey part shouldn't look raw.

Send me your links if you have baked the same recipe, I want to know your thoughts! I really enjoyed them!

My brother sent me this while away at uni of my mum with her Lauren Pascale Carrot and Apple Cake, the cutie hahaha!
Thanks for putting up with me and being the best friend and mum I could ask for. Love you forever mumsy!

Recipe from Lorraine Pascale 'A Lighter Way to Bake'

No comments:

Post a Comment